Get our weekly advice

Keep up-to-date with the latest advice from Finish College.

Financial Aid: Funds for Adult Students

Erin Pettus / Abound: Finish College

There are many types of scholarships that are tailored to the needs of adult students. Corporations, professional associations, and universities are just some of the sources of this aid. The government also provides funds, especially for military veterans. Here is a small sampling of the types of aid available to adult learners:

Employer Tuition Assistance

To start your search, try asking your human resources office about employer tuition assistance. Seven out of eight large employers provide some form of tuition aid. You can receive up to $5,250 in such assistance every year, tax-free (in some cases more). In exchange, some employers may need you to agree to work or a set number of years after graduation. You might also need to maintain a minimum GPA to get the help. Often this aid is a reimbursement after the fact, so you’ll need to budget for your cash flow needs. 

State Programs

Depending on your state of residence, you may be able to receive help to go back to school. Take Arkansas’ Career Pathways Initiative. This program helps low-income parents overcome hurdles that can disrupt their education. It provides up to $1,500 a year for qualifying students. This money can go toward tuition, books, child care or transportation costs. A parent of four making about $46,000 a year is eligible regardless of whether they are on any form of public assistance.

While in the program, students get a tutor and a case manager. The case manager provides mentoring, career coaching and can even arrange child care. After school, case managers help students find careers that best suit their abilities. Also, résumé writing and interview help is provided after leaving the program.

Veteran Programs

There is a long tradition of financial aid resources for Military Veterans. Here is a sample of some active programs:

Yellow Ribbon Program

This program is for veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq. It covers all resident tuition and fees for a public school. See here for details.

Wisconsin GI Bill

This bill covers full tuition and fees for veterans from Wisconsin. The program applies to any UW System or Wisconsin Technical College School. Learn more here.

Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI program is for members of the Army Reserves and National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components.  Learn more here.

There are many more programs for veterans. Check back in the future for an advise entry focused on those!

There’s no need to go it alone! Plenty of resources are available for those looking to advance their education. No matter your income level or background, those willing to take the time to look can find the money to go to school. Your college education doesn’t have to be as expensive as it may seem. It’s worth your time to explore all the funding options out there!

More About Abound: We’re here to help. Abound: Finish College narrows down your options and gets you in touch with schools that we can confirm are Accessible, Affordable, Accelerated, and Advanced. Take a look at the schools we trust and find the program that works for you.

More Helpful Resources:

Employer Assisted Tuition: 8 Strategies to Persuade Your Boss

Financial Aid: Funds for Adult Students

Getting College Credit for Life Experience You Already Have

Why Choose a BSN Over Other Nursing Degrees?

Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.

Get our weekly advice

Keep up-to-date with the latest advice from Finish College.